RayDillon.com | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | DeviantArt | Awesome Wife | Ray's Random Blog | Daily Sketch | Tip Jar! |
Get YOUR ad here! I'd love to feature webcomics and creator-owned works full-time! Email RayDillonGGS@gmail.com!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Where I Started. Where We Went. Where We're At. Where We're Going.

I'm posting this not to say "Look what I did" but to say look what can be accomplished by any of us. Too often we get stuck in thinking we can't get out of the situation we're in, we got a bum rap, we weren't given the resources, but I'm inspired by the people who did get out and live better lives than what they were born into. And I'm not done yet. The sky is the limit. I should also say that had it not been for my amazing wife Renae De Liz I might still be in that first house! She kicked the courage into my hermit brain.


Where I StartedSalina, Ks. Lived here from 6th grade to age 23! Yikes!
The window on the left is my room. About a 7'x7' box.
4-lane major road right there at the bottom.
Next to a concrete factory, "homeless bridge," train tracks, 
"party" houses, liquor store ... just a bad neighborhood.

Where We WentShe was my girlfriend at the time (now wife) and she found this beautiful home. It was really hard (being more expensive) and really scary (I'd lived in that previous place forever!) and really impossible (it was for sale and we had no credit. Worked out a deal with realtor for rent-to-buy) but we went for it! We lived there for a year, but it ended up not working out for us to buy. However, taking such a big leap changed our lives in a great way! Now we know exactly the quality of life we want and our children deserve and won't settle. I proposed to her right at that tree. We found out we were having a baby in there. Our son learned how to ride his bike in that driveway. Love that house, but it didn't work out for a good reason!

Where We're AtAgain, my wife found this amazing place in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. Rather than moping in Salina, KS driving by the house we lived in for a year and lost, we decided to move on to a new land and a better life! We worked our tails off to get here and it was SO worth it. It's a bit more expensive than the last place (but only by a few hundred dollars!), but Cape is one of the top places to live in the country with some of the best schools. Tons of culture. It's incredible here! Instead of my boys riding their bike around a little town and maybe going as far as a corn field, they can ride to the ocean! Take a ferry to an island. We can drive down to Boston! New York! All of that is incredible to me!

Things are still tough. We're not rich. We still have to fight to get everything we have and to keep afloat, but man, it's a LOT better than where I started!!!

Where We're Going

We don't want a mansion or this house specifically, but there are a few things that would make our home complete. Log cabin feel, vaulted ceilings, nice landscaping, stones work, enough space, open kitchen with nice cabinets, upstairs bedrooms, trees, water, mountains, seclusion/privacy. This house kinda represents that. We're already looking for that step up. Have a few options that are maybe a few hundred dollars per month more than what we're currently paying. If we get rid of some debt, do more work each month, we can get it!

I post this, too, as a way of motivating myself and reminding myself of my roots and why I'm working so hard. I don't ever want to go back to the way things were and I certainly don't want my kids to grow up like I did. So I'm up right now working and I will be every day and every night to make sure they're happy and taken care of. Also see My Vision Board for more dreams and goals.

The hard work, stress, and sleepless nights are worth it!

My Beautiful Wife & Comic Book Artist

And our 2 handsome boys:
Tycen Anthony

Drake Asher

Thanks for reading! Please share YOUR story, too! It inspires me and can help others too!

Also read my post: A Child of Hoarding & Addiction - Sad stuff, but more proof that things get better!

~Ray

RayDillon.com | Art/Writing Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Tip Jar

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY MOST POPULAR BLOG POSTS!

PUT *YOUR* AD HERE STARTING AT $0 - PROJECT WONDERFUL!

Ray Makes Money on TWITTER! -- You can too!

SponsoredTweets referral badge